Thursday, March 9, 2017

TO BELIEVE IS TO SEE: WHAT I LEARNED AS A TEACHER

I've never been so proud as a teacher just today.

2 years ago, a local state university accepted me as their Psychology instructor. I was juggling my work as a part-time instructor at three universities, handling online pages for psychometrician, and finishing my MA that time. I don't know how I managed all of it. I worked 6 times a week. By 2016, I worked 7 days a week. I gave up one school and then focused on two schools, finishing my MA, roving in the Philippines to lecture every weekend (because of review center), and handling online pages.

Despite the productive schedule, I was promoted after one year in a local state university as Program Head of College of Nursing and Psychology. I am dubious about my ability because I felt like I'm too young for the position and I have lots of commitments. That time, I am just satisfied as an adviser of my third-year students (my graduating students this year). But with the encouragement of my superior, I accepted it. SHE BELIEVED IN ME and that gesture inspired me to do the same with my students. *That's why I love our dean so much for she always shows her support for our program and shows her concern*

I grew as a teacher in 2 years (and I still believe that I have a lot of room for learning! I am still growing!) and I believe that I AM NOTHING WITHOUT THOSE PEOPLE WHO BELIEVED IN ME AND WITHOUT MY BELOVED STUDENTS. What really inspires me to become a teacher is my students' performance every period.

My students and I grew together in a different way. They were at par in performance (that time) but I found out today that among the graduating students, most of them are candidates to receive various awards.

I just want to share what I just learned as a teacher. You have to believe in yourself, you have to better yourself for your students, listen to their needs and provide them feedback so they can improve.

Above all, you have to believe with their potentials before you see the results. So the adage that says, "to see is to believe" is not applicable in the academe. I learned that...

YOU HAVE TO STRONGLY BELIEVE FOR YOU TO SEE THE RESULTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment