Saturday, September 17, 2016

HISTORICAL EVENT 2016: PAP 53rd ANNUAL CONVENTION

I was able to witness the amazing psychologists in the Philippines and am grateful for hearing them speak live in front of my eyes. I was in awe when I realized that the person on stage was Dr. Elizabeth Ventura. She happened to be my seatmate when I was late in UP Manila workshop where Dr. Honey Carandang was the speaker. I remembered that we have a chit chat regarding the topic of Dr. Carandang and encouraged me to share my thoughts in the forum. I didn't know back then that the person sitting next to me was one of the renowned Psychologists in the country.

I realized some few things when I attended the convention, here are the things that I like to share:

1. Be humble. You do not need to shout out to everyone that you are a great person or awesome person. Your works and credentials will speak for you. I am really inspired by the plenary speakers and thankful that I had a chance to meet them in person or to hear them talk. I hope I can attain that kind of wisdom in the future. 

2. Listen. You are there to listen and to learn from the works of others not to brag something by asking questions that you already know or to embarrass the presenter. Just put yourself in their situation (you know what I mean). 
3. Ask questions. You have to politely ask some questions to further improve the works of others and to be enlightened on the parts of the research that you don't understand well. You might approach the presenter at the end of the session to get the full text of their work (if they will allow you), useful articles, and to get their e-mail addresses.
4. Enjoy the moment. Mingle with other awesome people in the event. 

I would like to end my post by quoting the brief but meaningful advice from Dr. Cristina Jayme Montiel, one of the outstanding psychologists this year:

1. Think first quietly or you will fall.
2. Keep your knees bent all the time.
3. End the spot where you started.




The perk of being early is to have an awesome panoramic shot in the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment