Sunday, December 28, 2014

A Suspicious Old Woman

Photo credit: http://www.taringa.net/posts/info/17665466/35-Curiosidades-que-no-sabias.html
Old people, old women to be particular, remind me of my grandmother who died in cancer. Whenever I see them, I could not help to think that someday I’ll be one of them, like my grandmother—sagged skin, white hairs, shrunk body and slow motor movements. For this reason, I revere them not because I am hoping that someday young people will do the same like I did. I respect them for they deserved it.

               I walked once on a street, noticed a small old lady carrying a heavy bag with her right hand. She carried it with full effort as if her arms would break. I could see in her walk that in any minute she would stop for a while to recover some strength. At that moment, I felt an urge of concern to help the old lady. I came by her side and offered my help. To my surprise, the old lady looked at me with suspicion and I could feel that she distrusted me. She forced herself to carry the bag and put it in front of her chest, embracing her plastic bag as if I would snatch it away from her! With that, I thought that it is of no use if I’ll push myself to help her. I stopped walking, shocked for a moment and just looked at the old lady walking farther away from me. I asked myself then, “Do I have the face of a thief?” (No, I don’t think so). 

               I am not annoyed with the lady, I just thought that “the world today is beset by swindlers, sycophant, con artist or whatever terms that fool other people just to gain something.” Poor lady, maybe she experienced a situation wherein someone took advantage of her…someone who took everything or some possessions away from her.

I hope people will not take advantage of the weaknesses of others instead they should help build a better society where love, peace, respect and trust are seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment